homestead - [Homestead] Luck does not exist

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Luck does not exist
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:20:32 -0600

Wish me luck.

There is no luck and there is no gain from asking for it or wishing it for anyone.

What people call "luck" is what happens when adequate preparation meets opportunity. Louis Pasteur said, "Chance favors only the prepared mind." E.B. White said, "Luck is not something you can mention in the presence of self-made men." Emerson said, "Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Jefferson said, "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

So I don't wish you luck. I wish you well. I wish you ever-growing insight into yourself and your needs. I wish you better decision-making skills based on conscious effort. Such effort requires focus and persistence, the essential human characteristics for success.