homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:05:09 -0600

The sort of person who was likely to earn more money was also the sort of person likely to go to college, nothing more than that.

Money is measurable. Happiness is more elusive. Productivity does seem to contribute to happiness.

. . . As far as the professions you mentioned, alas, you are asking a radical
lunatic fringe libertarian.

Do you feel we should discount your view?

My view is that they should no be regulated or licensed at all by the government and it should be a complete 'caveat emptor' way of regulating the trades.

That is certainly radical. How would the first patients of an unlicensed surgeon decide she were competent to operate on their child?

I know the history of real estate transactions. If today real estate agents were unlicensed, our system of private property ownership would be a criminal activity. Caveat emptor favors the rich, the experienced, the ruthless. I see it creating a much more strongly classed society.

Therefore if the best way to being a physician was to go to college, then fine, the market would dictate that. But if self study and apprenticeship and such worked better, then that's how it would be.

Apprenticeship is a sound method of producing competency. In the case of the licensed professions it would also train some to be ethical and some to be unethical, to just make the money.

You probably know that in some states, Virginia is one, you can become a lawyer by "reading the law", not literally, of course, it's a sort of apprenticeship.

I know the process. I believe, however, that to sit for the Virginia bar exam, one must have graduated from an American Bar Association-approved college. Your position seems to be that lawyers should not be required to become licensed, therefore no need to pass the bar exam. If a lawyer is not licensed then she would not be allowed to argue a case before a judge. They might do mundane things like contracts and wills, but their practice would be curtailed. If that system were changed, then courts would become of questionable competency. How would disputes be settled?

I have the embarassment of a number of degrees. All a total waste of time. College has got to be one of the most inefficient ways of learning there is. I suspect that in time the internet will render it obsolete.

College study may well be inefficient. The Internet may well become a universal university. As for your degrees, perhaps yours are a waste of time because you chose a field of study that you now choose not to pursue. You did some teaching. That most likely required a degree. So you got something for it. And your range of knowledge contributes today to the shaping of your children, I expect.