homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:28:14 -0800

1. Public schools have not accomplished their *stated* goal which is a "more literate" society.

The U.S. is less literate and becomes more illiterate the longer we have public schools.

That alone should be sufficient unto the argument against public schools.

2. Contrary to popular mythology, public schools are not places of mandatory education, they are place which have mandatory attendance. They are not required to educate your children, they require that your children appear and warm a seat. That is the law. Read it in your own state. They have lots of high and glorious sounding goals but the only law out there is that your child be in attendance.

3. New Freedom Commission and Teen Screen. If you have children in the public school system and don't know what this is, then IMNSHO, you are a negligent parent! http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/print.html?path=HL0608/S00010.htm

4. UNESCO, need I say more?!

5. EDMS and Wested. Again, if you don't know about this and have children in p.s OR work in a public school, it is time to do your homework. There are at least SEVEN HUNDRED identifiers collected about students AND employees. Some of the questions asked of children are: a) do your parents do drugs, b) do you know any adults who do drugs, c) has your parent or any other adult family member ever hit you, d) has anyone ever touched you inappropriately (please define inappropriate to a 5 year old!), and the list goes on. Along with that the schools are collecting information for a national data base which collects all health information on your child.

6. NAEP

7. School-To-Work, National Goals, Goals 2000, NCLB. Those dots all have to be connected inorder to understand what is happening to public education.

8. KIPP.

9. Some statistics from public schools:

30% of all children murdered are at school when it happens.

33% of all violent crimes against children occur at school.

Students are more likely to be victims of theft at school.

5% of all public school children reported being victimized at school during a 6 month period.

12% of male and 6% of female students reported being threated or injured with a weapon on school property.

71% of public schools experienced one or more violent incidents.

36% of public schools reported violent incidents to the police.

20% of the public schools experienced one or more serious violent incidents.

15% of public schools reported serious violent incidents to the police.

21% of students reported gangs in their schools.

29% reported that someone had offered, sold or givent hem an illegal drug on school property.

5% consumed alcohol on school property and 6% used marijuana on school property.

O.K., so you say that doesn't "really" sound all that bad. UNTIL you know that 80% of all incidents are reported!

10. Safety of the buildings and the teachers:

Annually, teachers are the victims of approximately 183,000 nonfatal crimes at school, 119,000 thefts and 65,000 violent crimes; 8-11% are threatened with injury, 5% have been attacked by students, 13% of schools report verbal abuse of teachers, 19% report student acts of disrespect and 3% report widespread disorder in classrooms.

43% of middle schools report daily or weekly reports of student bullying, 26% in primary and 25% in secondary.

54% of schools took at least one serious disciplinary action against students (1,163,000 actions).

75% of schools control access to the school buildings by locking or monitoring doors; 34% control access to school ground with locked or monitored gates.

14% of primary, 20% of middle and 39% of secondary schools used one or more security cameras to monitor school.

And, I have barely scratched the surface. I can go on and on. I worked for the schools, as did DH. I also worked for the feds. I know what is going on in your school from the inside out!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN" <vdjor AT yahoo.com>