homestead - Re: [Homestead] was SJ's journey, now indexing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was SJ's journey, now indexing
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:29:42 -0600

I am indeed one of those, since the days when we actually used index cards to ply our trade. Do you need me?"

No, but I have filed you in my mind file.

One of my great disappointments with Warner Books is they assigned an indexer without my knowledge. My account ended up being charged, I think $800, for a quite incomplete index. An embarrassment.

In my first and second editions I used a facility in either Word or Pagemaker to do the indexes. I believe they are quite good, but I am biased. Seems to me that if authors have the motivation and the ability, then they should index to ensure that their readers are well served.

One of my disappointments with publishing these days is non-fiction books without indexes. In most cases I choose not to buy them. Seems to me shortsighted, a false economy, certainly a very great disservice to readers. Oh yeah, I know the tight economics of publishing.