homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:08:45 -0500

Just caught the tail end of this thread... and I agree with James, for the
most part.

Particularly in my field, which is music and performing arts. I actually
went through and finished the Piled Higher and Deeper degree, but for me, it
was just a natural progression of interest. When you audition for a show,
or an ensemble, no-one cares what your degree is, they just want to know if
you can do what's required, and are competent. The whole purpose for
college is to gain experience, which is the best teacher anyway. If you are
in an area with active community arts programs, that can be the best way to
gain experience. Of course, you also have to have the drive to win, which,
as James so aptly pointed out, is inherent in those successful individuals,
anyway, college or no.

Incidentally, my viewpoint is not particularly popular among my peers... ;-)

Ray