homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:36:52 -0600

On 11/19/06, rayzentz AT aim.com <rayzentz AT aim.com> wrote:
Just caught the tail end of this thread... and I agree with James, for the
most part.
<< Particularly in my field, which is music and performing arts. I
actually went through and finished the Piled Higher and Deeper degree,
but for me, it was just a natural progression of interest. When you
audition for a show, or an ensemble, no-one cares what your degree is,
they just want to know if you can do what's required, and are
competent. >>

For most of what we actually do, competence is the bottom line.

However, once you get to a certain point in education, competence is
also the bottom line. PhD candidates get to prove theirs over the
course of their education. Medical education in the US is
predominantly an apprenticship with tests along the way to assure that
the students know what they're doing.

Marie