homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:19:51 -0600

I'm slow to respond to this, but I've been meaning to do so.

When my son was in school, I went to school board meetings. I said my
piece at more than a few. I was an activist, and at times I was an
agitator. I stirred up support amongst other parents and teachers for
various ideas. And as a result, I saw positive changes in our
community schools. Communities and parents get the schools that they
want, if they want them badly enough.. If the communities and parents
don't care enough to be active, they get the schools that they
deserve.

As for schools breaking children's spirits and turning children into
robots, that would only happen, I think, if you let it. An active
parent who cares about their child's progress will work to educate
their child, whether the child is in a public school, a parochial
school, a home school, or, I suppose, an unschool. An active parent
will be exposing their child to new ideas and letting that child
explore and learn about things that fascinate and intrigue. An active
parent will support those things which help the child grow, mature and
develop.