homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question about fencing out predators

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question about fencing out predators
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:59:48 -0500

Thanks guys...I got tired of discussing it last night, so I said, well,
let's ask the list....hehe
Poor Ron is out there right now up on a rickety ladder and scaffold
roofing the thing for me. I'm scared of heights. It's my job to bring
him the shingles...I only have to walk up two steps holding a bundle,
but that's tough..bundles weigh about 80 pounds, I think, at least, it
felt like a bag of cement!
Back to work!
Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Ron's not a chicken man, is he?

Not the whole chicken, just the breasts and legs.

It's OUTSIDE and no mistake. It isn't just one racoon (or whatever)
you are dealing with. While it might be satisfying to whip out your
hog-leg 44's with "Say yer prayers, ya ring tailed bandit!", in
reality it isn't very practical.

You have to resolve yourself to just discouraging them. Racoons are
creatures of habit and prescribed circuits of endeavor. If they get
zapped a few times, they will change that circuit leaving your hen
house out of it.

This time of year, you lose a few chickens. We have an enormous red
tailed hawk picking off the far wanderers and straglers. I can draw
a bead on him, but the vote of the clan was to leave him be. We (we
and the hawk) are simply going to have to learn to be polite and
reasonable with one another. _______________________________________________ Homestead list and