homestead - Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:11:38 -0800

At 11/14/2006, you wrote:
I have seen a program on this, (maybe mythbusters) where they tested many of
these ideas and not one of them resulted in improved mileage and a few were
very dangerous. I have also read in Pop Mechanics that these , so far, are all
frauds that don't work. Doesn't mean there will never be one, but so far, no
quick fix.

There is no magic elixir. A gasoline fueled internal combustion spark ignition engine needs a air/ fuel ratio of 14.1:1. Any less fuel is a lean mixture and misfires start happening. Any more fuel is a rich mixture and fuel is wasted. Some racers like a slightly rich mixture to insure against missfires. There is no magic way to reduce the fuel ratio.

The reason for the above is the mixture distribution in the combustion chamber. A 14.1:1 A/F ratio has as many oxygen molecules needed to combine with all the fuel molecules. There are lots of ways to improve fuel distribution and ignition, fuel injection, ridges in the bottom of carburetor intake manifold casting, offsetting and canting valves, dual spark plugs, etc. All have been tried and some help but none get away from the 14.1:1 A/F ratio. But that has not stopped charlatans from preying on a public too lazy to learn how the world really works.

Internal combustion compression ignition engines (Diesel) are different. The fuel is injected into a combustion chamber filled with compressed air hot enough to ignite the fuel. As such very lean conditions can be tolerated under part load.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.