homestead - Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:47:55 -0600

One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that once a technology is
superceded, it doesn't matter what the resources that built it are:
they'll still be abandoned. For example, coal fueled the industrial
revolution, and we have centuries of coal reserves, but oil and
natural gas are a lot cleaner and more convenient, so most of the coal
will be left in the ground, at least for a few more years (or decades
or centuries, depending).

In the short terrm we could be a lot more efficient in conserving
energy. Had the government imposed mandatory mileage standards and
kept increasing them, our situation would be less dire. Sure, the
market will eventually correct, but in the meatime the morons in
Detroit will take the US auto industry under while we buy cars from
Asians and Europeans who have already come to grips with liquid motor
fuel priced at what it really costs.

Marie