homestead - Re: [Homestead] Recent reading

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Recent reading
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:08:48 -0500

You know, I have spent a great deal of time pondering why I, personally, like
big houses. I am the oldest of a large family, and because of this, had
little to no privacy, and was always cramped for space while growing up. I
like, nay, I need room. I need space to stretch out. I suppose if I owned
a parcel of land of any size, or had a large barn to work in that my "need"
may be satisfied. In lieu of that, I have a relatively large house. We
have, when necessitated by circumstance, lived in small apartments and
houses, and it about drove me nuts...actually got claustrophobic at times.
Anyway, I guess I will always have a big house. However, we constantly are
finding ways of being efficient with our power and fuel usage. For example,
we use only the newer flourescent bulbs, and only have them lit in rooms that
are actually occupied (constantly reminding the yard-apes, of course). We
also keep our winter temps low, and have the thermostat programmed to reflect
our occupancy patterns. Not perfect, but at least an attempt.

Ray