homestead - Re: [Homestead] Memories and Sheople, was More ups and downs

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Memories and Sheople, was More ups and downs
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:35:46 -0800

I only know how it is done here, and unfortunately have never stopped to wonder how it is done elsewhere.

So, here, we get a booklet in the mail that gives the exact wording of all bills. It is LONG and BORING!!!! but we feel it is something we need to do because titles are worthless and the short pro/con thing they send out is strictly an opinion piece and frequently a crock of poop. It takes a LOT of time to slog your way through all the run on sentences and excess verbage! However, we made a decision about 25 years ago that we were going to do this because of some crap that was snuck through on a bill that "sounded" like it was a great thing to vote for.

I think that it is past time for the truth in advertising law to be strongly inforced and inforced on political advertising. Fearmongering is what drives how far too many folks cast their votes. AND, it is time that bills were written in *everyday* English. If a bill is for x, y or z, then it should say this bill is for x, y or z. It should say "this bill, under its present guise will evidence the thinking of a collective of concerned citizens, blah, blah, blah. Who cares?! Say what it is, what it will do, what it won't do and how much it will cost. PERIOD! Plus, it should do ONE thing, not a whole slug of unrelated things. They do this all the time in hopes that you'll feel guilty if you say no because they put in one thing that only a cold-hearted old curmudgeon would vote against.

Lynda, who will get off her soapbox now <g>
I vote, but many times I don't feel fully informed about the
legislation I am voting on. I suppose I am probably a knee-jerk voter....
For example....on the Georgia ballot this year, there was some
legislation about preserving hunting and fishing. I had not heard of
this amendment before, but it sounded good so I voted yes for the
amendment. I have to admit that I have no clue as to what I actually
voted for-what the ramifications of my 'yes-vote' will be. I admit this
and know that I am not alone. I hope to God that 5 years from now I
don't have some eminent domain struggle because the state wants to take
my land to preserve hunting and fishing in the National Forest. In that
case, my good intentions will be my own demise. But in fairness to
myself, how does one go about learning the ramifications of a proposed
amendment such as this?

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky