homestead - Re: [Homestead] Memories and Sheople, was More ups and downs

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Memories and Sheople, was More ups and downs
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 14:06:31 -0800

We were at the library today for our weekly indulgence in reading material. One of the volunteers (retired attorney, married to a school teacher) was talking about how upset she was that local voters hadn't voted for the school bond issue but how happy she was that the rest of the state had so it had passed.

She was elected to the school board in June, so I decided to put my theory about sheople and boards to the test. I asked her what had happened to the bond money that was voted for the exact same thing 4 years ago had gone to. She gave an elaborate shrug and said she didn't know but she thought maybe it had gone to earthquake retro fits. I said that was strange because all the retro fitting had been done beginning in the 70s and I didn't really think there could be many schools left that needed retro-fitting and certainly not to the tune of $4 billion dollars every four years. Her answer was "Well, I don't know. I just know we need money for OUR school now."

Confirmed what I thought and what you said, they haven't a clue why they voted or how they have voted which is why stuff reappears every 4 years. Vast majority of voters are suffering from short term memory loss!

I say vote them all out every election and start new!

I just try to maintain an even keel when it
comes to politics as to me Democrats and Republicans are two sides of
the same freaking coin. It's funny to me how quickly Americans forget
why they voted oppositely in 1998 and 2000 and put Republicans in office.
One of the reasons we came home from vacation early was to vote.
Everyone says I threw my vote away, but I voted my conscience and went
anti-incumbent, Libertarian/Independent all the way down. I figured
shoot, some college kid probably hacked into the machine anyway, so why
not vote the way I feel.
Welp, that's about all you'll get from me in a political
discussion-that's more than enough, I think, but I am glad that you are
apparently happy with the change of power-it feels good when your vote
tallies on the winning side....I haven't had that feeling since,
jeez...when I voted for Reagan the second time. :)