homestead - Re: [Homestead] More ups and downs

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More ups and downs
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:46:34 -0500

Hey Bev,
Be careful of
Thunderbird, I had problems 2-3x a year. Saved email would disappear,
then reappear a couple weeks later or I could see new email in my box
but not open it. The tech at our local computer store never heard of
my problem, but it started giving my husband problems as well. We
both switched to web-based email.

Hmmm. I'll be sure to back up the mail folders. Thanks for the heads
up. I tried it out a year or so ago along with Opera and a few others
and I liked thunderbird the best since it was almost the same thing as
the netscape mail (both mozilla) that I have used all of my e-life.

I'm sorry for the loss of your adopted father. It sounds like you
are mostly at peace with his passing.

Yes, he had been sick for a while and I know I did all I could do to
repair the relationship. I still have to call my adopted half sister to
offer condolences, and I am not sure how that will go, so I'm a bit
antsy. I haven't seen her in 20 years, but I did have email contact
with her for a short time in the late 90's. I hear that she has mental
problems, so I don't know what to expect.

We're down to four ducks. We put a small floating dock with a square
bale shelter in the pond a couple weeks ago. Don't know if we'll
continue to lose ducks, but hope this helps. We had one duck die of
natural causes, not 100% certain. Found him on the edge of the pond
intact, no feathers or parts missing, just look like he had one last
swim and died. Then one duck found a way into the old root cellar
under the old half of our house, we didn't think to look there until
too late. Another duck disappeared. Whether a critter got it and ate
it elsewhere or it flew off, we don't know.

I think the floating shelter will work as good as anything else to deter
predators. Somethings you just have to live with. I'm down to 26
chickens as of today from the 40+ I had in June.

My father's side of my family is getting together in GA at my
brothers house in Gainesville for Thanksgiving. My Dad (MN) and my
aunt/uncle (KS) will be there. We have decided to stay home, or
rather I decided, since hubby said it was up to me. My brother
invited me just last week.

I live about 3 hours from Gainesville, but you are welcome to visit if
you change your mind. Don't know if you would come down I-85 or I-75
from VA, but I only live about 25 minutes off I-75 and it would be on
the way.

My Dad hasn't been
to our house in 6+ years, but he makes it to GA annually. As petty as
this sounds and is, I (we) have decided our family (just us and our
sons) really needs to spend the holiday relaxing since our client
will be at home. We don't need to spend the better part of two days
driving. I'm not feeling compassionate towards family right now
(except towards my sis) but into self-preservation. We went to MN
last year for Thanksgiving and my Dad's 65th birthday, but I already
feel bad about not going and the holiday is two weeks away. Argh.
This sounds like a Dear Abby letter. ;)

I totally understand. Self preservation is the reason I am estranged
from my adoptive father's family, too. Don't kick yourself, but do make
sure that your family knows how much you care or don't care. It will
make things easier down the road when you are sitting where I sit now.

On a positive note, I closed my mortgage business (10/31/06). Let's
have a collective cheer among the audience. I haven't cancelled the
phone, but that's the last, most final thing left. The sign is down.
I've been telling everyone I bump into that I'm closed.

Congratulations!

And how about November 7th?! It's official today in VA and HUGE
news.

Well, what can I say other than that I live in a Republican state. Yes,
it is indeed huge news. I just try to maintain an even keel when it
comes to politics as to me Democrats and Republicans are two sides of
the same freaking coin. It's funny to me how quickly Americans forget
why they voted oppositely in 1998 and 2000 and put Republicans in office.
One of the reasons we came home from vacation early was to vote.
Everyone says I threw my vote away, but I voted my conscience and went
anti-incumbent, Libertarian/Independent all the way down. I figured
shoot, some college kid probably hacked into the machine anyway, so why
not vote the way I feel.
Welp, that's about all you'll get from me in a political
discussion-that's more than enough, I think, but I am glad that you are
apparently happy with the change of power-it feels good when your vote
tallies on the winning side....I haven't had that feeling since,
jeez...when I voted for Reagan the second time. :)

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky