homestead - Re: [Homestead] More ups and downs

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More ups and downs
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:32:26 -0500

On 11/9/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Life is funny, ya know? Just when you think things are okay-BAM-something
like losing your computer slaps you in the face. For two weeks, I have been
up and down.

Hey Bev,

I'm excited for you that you have a working (new) computer. Mine is a five
year-old refurbished model, it worked well until recently. I've had to
reboot it to get programs open--not a good sign. I have 256 RAM and will
upgrade to 1024 RAM. I got DSL this past summer, but it doesn't zip because
of the slower RAM, so I'm told. I still have a beige box monitor and desire
a flat panel, if only to reclaim space on my desk. Be careful of
Thunderbird, I had problems 2-3x a year. Saved email would disappear, then
reappear a couple weeks later or I could see new email in my box but not
open it. The tech at our local computer store never heard of my problem, but
it started giving my husband problems as well. We both switched to
web-based email.

I'm sorry for the loss of your adopted father. It sounds like you are
mostly at peace with his passing.

We're down to four ducks. We put a small floating dock with a square bale
shelter in the pond a couple weeks ago. Don't know if we'll continue to lose
ducks, but hope this helps. We had one duck die of natural causes, not 100%
certain. Found him on the edge of the pond intact, no feathers or parts
missing, just look like he had one last swim and died. Then one duck found a
way into the old root cellar under the old half of our house, we didn't
think to look there until too late. Another duck disappeared. Whether a
critter got it and ate it elsewhere or it flew off, we don't know.

My father's side of my family is getting together in GA at my brothers house
in Gainesville for Thanksgiving. My Dad (MN) and my aunt/uncle (KS) will be
there. We have decided to stay home, or rather I decided, since hubby said
it was up to me. My brother invited me just last week. We'd made plans early
Oct. since we now have a foster client and had to make plans for him with
his family. My aunt clued me two weeks ago after I'd heard from my sister
(who also lives in G'ville) that Dad was going back for T'giving (he was
there in August, that's when he and my bro made plans). My Dad hasn't been
to our house in 6+ years, but he makes it to GA annually. As petty as this
sounds and is, I (we) have decided our family (just us and our sons) really
needs to spend the holiday relaxing since our client will be at home. We
don't need to spend the better part of two days driving. I'm not feeling
compassionate towards family right now (except towards my sis) but into
self-preservation. We went to MN last year for Thanksgiving and my Dad's
65th birthday, but I already feel bad about not going and the holiday is two
weeks away. Argh. This sounds like a Dear Abby letter. ;)

On a positive note, I closed my mortgage business (10/31/06). Let's have a
collective cheer among the audience. I haven't cancelled the phone, but
that's the last, most final thing left. The sign is down. I've been
telling everyone I bump into that I'm closed.

And how about November 7th?! It's official today in VA and HUGE news.

Lisa