homestead - Re: [Homestead] Memories and Sheople, was More ups and downs

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Memories and Sheople, was More ups and downs
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:57:13 -0500

Lynda wrote:
We were at the library today for our weekly indulgence in reading
material. One of the volunteers (retired attorney, married to a
school teacher) was talking about how upset she was that local voters
hadn't voted for the school bond issue but how happy she was that the
rest of the state had so it had passed.

She was elected to the school board in June, so I decided to put my
theory about sheople and boards to the test. I asked her what had
happened to the bond money that was voted for the exact same thing 4
years ago had gone to. She gave an elaborate shrug
<snip>

Confirmed what I thought and what you said, they haven't a clue why
they voted or how they have voted which is why stuff reappears every
4 years. Vast majority of voters are suffering from short term memory
loss!

I say vote them all out every election and start new!

I don't want to throw stones because I, too, live in a glass house. I
think we all, as a people, need to educate ourselves more when it comes
to politics. You really have to dig for yourself, talk to people and
find out what really happens behind the scenes. I'm probably more
patriotic than the next guy, and I used to think that the problem was
simple apathy, but now I think the problem is simple ignorance. 99% of
everyone I know doesn't know or discuss the issues or even care. It is
way beyond people being disconnected from their government. It's almost
scary to me that policies and legislation is created and enacted by so
few and with so little involvement from the Average Joe. I need to
become more politically knowledgeable in a lot of areas. I know I have
to look at the face in the mirror and not just complain about others'
apathy. I vote, but many times I don't feel fully informed about the
legislation I am voting on. I suppose I am probably a knee-jerk voter....
For example....on the Georgia ballot this year, there was some
legislation about preserving hunting and fishing. I had not heard of
this amendment before, but it sounded good so I voted yes for the
amendment. I have to admit that I have no clue as to what I actually
voted for-what the ramifications of my 'yes-vote' will be. I admit this
and know that I am not alone. I hope to God that 5 years from now I
don't have some eminent domain struggle because the state wants to take
my land to preserve hunting and fishing in the National Forest. In that
case, my good intentions will be my own demise. But in fairness to
myself, how does one go about learning the ramifications of a proposed
amendment such as this?

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky