homestead - Re: [Homestead] Trashland Treasure

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 02:32:10 -0400

As you know, I have been following this thread and I have to admit
Bill, while I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, that since this
afternoon, everything I have read supports Lynda on this. I found
different information for every state/region, and that is what makes
sense anyway. I was serious when I asked about where you learned about
the USDA's well defined calculations, wasn't trying to be obnoxious or
backhanded, but in the meantime, I have searched and searched and
haven't come up with any evidence to support what I think you said as
far as general calculations for 'carrying capacity' and stocking
densities, etc. I did see the term "seasonal carrying capacity" but it
wasn't like what you described.
Also, just so you know, I wasn't making a jibe at you about being a part
time resident there, I was honestly surprised. I just wasn't aware that
you had another residence (and I don't know where that is still). I
must admit though, thinking back, that I noticed you said "I reckon" in
one of your posts, and I thought that odd for a Oregonian to
say...that's more like what I would say! :) Maybe you have been around
Southerners?? Anyway, right or wrong, Bill, it is clear to me that you
have at least made an attempt to understand carrying capacities and have
done research on what you think your land will support. That is far
more than a LOT of people do when they are establishing their
homesteads, and you should be commended for that.
You know, this whole conversation/discussion reminds of ones that we
used to have between me and Tvo and Frank. Frank, are you still out
there-you can jump in anytime! ;) Don't be mad at me Frank, but I
recall me asking a question, Tvo answering with more information than I
could digest in a year, and Frank, ever on top of his research, would
dissect every point. <friendly punch in Frank's shoulder> Frank and I
were just newbies at the time, both of us were in the process of
purchasing and then establishing our homesteads. I learned so much from
all of that, and while Frank took a lot of ribbing in that he
"overanalyzed" everything, it was his 'thinking aloud' that really
enabled me to learn. My point is, is that while this discussion has
gotten heated and we are disagreeing, I hope that others on the list,
maybe lurkers, are gleaning something that will be helpful to them in
the future.
Y'all know me-I don't like a whole lot of conflict, but in this case, we
are on-topic and I think everyone is making the best argument possible
based on their own beliefs. I hope it continues, hopefully with less
venom, because I know I am learning from both of y'all. It's better
than politics and I'm sure it's more entertaining for the lurkers to
watch a good debate than to listen to me sing<g> Besides, I'm feeling a
bit down today, wishing I was in Oregon with my Dad, actually, and you
guys are a good distraction. By the way, Karen, it was good to see you
weigh in on the 'Coast Range' thing. I was wondering if you would. :)

This list. I swear, even after all this time, it's so addictive and
homey, but for a bunch of old hippies, I think some of you have
forgotten what it means to make peace, not war. ;)

"C'mon people now, smile on your brother
Everybody get together-try to love one another right now."

Bev, who has been trying to learn about overgrazing to improve her own
pasture....

Lynda wrote:

Oh rot! The USDA has calculation pages for every state! They take into consideration, among other things, Average body weight, estimated DMI, daily DMI for a single animal, daily DMI for the entire herd, how to determine paddock optimum paddock size, grazing periods and "rest" periods, gives averages for various animals (lactataing dairy cow, milking sheep/goats, growing stock [steers, heifers, lambs], beef cow/calf, ewe/lamb, adult non-lactating stock, how to figure the DM (average, low and high), gives average/approx. weights for various livestock and number of animals per 1000 lb/au, etc.

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I don't suppose so, since so many properties seem to have the same
steers on them year after year (well, not the exact same animals
of course). Somehow when you go to buy a ranch property, and you
ask the old fart, "so how many head of cattle you reckon this'll
keep," they have to be able to give you some answer. The details
for how it's calculated are well-defined by the USDA.
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky