homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:06:03 -0700

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I haven't followed this argument, but Lynda is absolutely right. The
carrying capacity of the land changes with how the land is managed.
The carrying capacity given in real estate ads or soil survey tables would no doubt be the maximum that can be acheived under conditions of proper management. Certainly this quantity has no minimum.

I would estimate my maximum carrying capacity at around 1.5, or better, once the new pasture is planted. So on 2.5 acres I can keep about 10 sheep (6 sheep = 1 steer for this purpose).

Bill
S. Oregon coast