homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:51:18 -0700

Oh rot! The USDA has calculation pages for every state! They take into consideration, among other things, Average body weight, estimated DMI, daily DMI for a single animal, daily DMI for the entire herd, how to determine paddock optimum paddock size, grazing periods and "rest" periods, gives averages for various animals (lactataing dairy cow, milking sheep/goats, growing stock [steers, heifers, lambs], beef cow/calf, ewe/lamb, adult non-lactating stock, how to figure the DM (average, low and high), gives average/approx. weights for various livestock and number of animals per 1000 lb/au, etc.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I don't suppose so, since so many properties seem to have the same
steers on them year after year (well, not the exact same animals of
course). Somehow when you go to buy a ranch property, and you ask the
old fart, "so how many head of cattle you reckon this'll keep," they
have to be able to give you some answer. The details for how it's
calculated are well-defined by the USDA. It assumes that everybody's
land is snowbound for six months, so that properties from radically
different climates can be compared on the same scale. But on my land,
without snow, there's actually a "winter carrying capacity". I imagine
it's about a third of fourth of the summer carrying capacity, so I hope
to keep a ram and three ewes over the winter, also with no feed. I
don't intend to push it to the limit, because they start gnawing tree
bark. At this point I keep animals only seasonally, since I'm a
snowbird, but within 5 years we'll both be able to move here full time.
Just in time, eh? I hope so.

Bill
S. Oregon coast