homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:15:54 -0700

SISU! wrote:

This site is just particularly cold. There's no obstacle to the cold
north wind that blows all day long in summer, on this north-facing slope.

I have to deal with the north wind, too, but mostly in the Spring and
Fall. Can you grow peaches, pears and apples there?
If I might ask, where are you in Oregon?
It's in Coos County, but several miles inland. We grow all temperate fruits, except that I had no luck with apricots. It was great to see that cherries are a serious candidate for success. This year we got 5 gallons from my two or three small trees. Peaches will grow, but I have yet to give one enough water and fertilizer. This year I've planted one near a compost bin, and I really expect it to thrive. One advantage of a north-facing slope is that the downhill side of the bin is also the shady side; with a south-facing slope you have to pick one or the other (shady side or wet side). Kiwis planted in this way are outstanding, but I ended up without a pollinator. Best of all, my seedling English walnut produced several nuts this year, and it's the best tree so far, so we should have at least some walnuts in the future.

Bill