homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:20:18 -0700

Gene GeRue wrote:

There are plenty of ways to
increase your calcium withou

For instance, one might eat pizza seven days per week!

I confess that like Tvo, I once scoffed at your pizzaholism. But last winter in S. Califonia I discovered something really great. Pizza can be used to freshen almost any suitable (no candied, dough-relaxed, or sliced) old bread. So pizza is "bread freshener" to make a pun.

No really. We're always looking for what to do with old bread, beside French toast, bread pudding, stuffing, and crumbs. One night I found some rather dry old bolillos in the box, and I was astonished to find out what great pizza I could make from them, by slicing them lengthwise and using slightly more sauce.

I remember Don saying he wasn't much into cooking (I can relate to that, this time of year). And he's often on the move. One could actually stock up on French rolls once a week, and cook the pizza breads in foil on a covered hibachi.

Bill