homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:37:25 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:
Can broth be made from rabbit bones, and is it worthwhile,
I wonder.

I make it all the time, and it is just like chicken broth.

This is good because even though I did grow some peanuts in the greenhouse one year, I had trouble with them rotting in the shell,
when the peanuts grow into the same medium that waters the plant.

Peanuts don't require that much water, especially after they peg. I'd
water and fertilize early, then slack off once the vines peg over.

This site is just particularly cold. There's no obstacle to the cold
north wind that blows all day long in summer, on this north-facing slope.

I have to deal with the north wind, too, but mostly in the Spring and
Fall. Can you grow peaches, pears and apples there?
If I might ask, where are you in Oregon? I'm hoping to get back out
there sometime next year and maybe this time I'd work my way up the
coast......still regret not getting to meet Karen on the last trip...
and I have always wanted to ride that jet boat up the Rogue, set up the
telescope at Crater Lake, etc.

Bev

--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses