homestead - Re: [Homestead] Info on Snakes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Info on Snakes
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:23:37 -0500

Some questions I have are:
Are they nocturnal?

I have seen our pygmy rattlers and copperheads during the daytime. I have recently killed two pygmies in the middle of the day, one on gravel and one in the grass.

When do they stop coming out(temperature)?

Not sure of the temperature effect except that they do hibernate in the
winter.

Do they live underground?

Pygmies ofter put themselves under large, flat rocks, perhaps for protection, perhaps for the heat. Copperheads love streams and ponds.

Do they hibernate?

Yes.

Can you be tested to see how severe a reaction a person might have to a
bite?

After I lost my stomach contents a doc did a test on my arm, like allergy tests. After he scratched the stuff in he went away and came back in thirty minutes. As my arm had reacted with red swelling, he did not give me the serum. During my convalescence I had plenty time to research snakes. I don't know if there is a test for venom sensitivity but what I read convinced me that the serum is often more dangerous than the venom.

Can you really put a rope around your campsite to prevent snakes from
entering?

Sounds like an old husbands tale.

Currently we live in Minnesota, but we're looking in the Ozarks and
every time we take a canoe trip I see a snake or two, sometimes the
poisonous variety. Some of you folks were talking a bit about them a
while back and I know Gene has been bitten by one. Being from
Minnesota, all the time I spent in the country I never gave much thought
to snakes. There are simply no poisonous snakes to speak of where I
grew up or where I currently frequent. Sounds like many of you deal
with snakes on a regular basis, I'd value you thoughts, tales, web
sites, and any other info you would be interested in passing on.

Our Canadian grandsons and their parents were just here for ten days. They are scared silly about snakes as they don't have them up there. I had all the grass mowed short and convinced them that the two big blacksnakes roaming the house area were really good guys and they could admire them but I would be angry if they hurt them. Gave them food for thought and they enjoyed their visit with no signs of paranoia.

You are doing the right thing, I think. Become highly knowledgeable about snakes and you will lose your fear of them.