homestead - Re: [Homestead] peanut butter

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] peanut butter
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:02:16 -0400

I grew my own peanuts and made peanut butter several years ago. I did
it in a food processor and made it "chunky" as that is what I like.
IIRC, I put some in, chopped them, removed some, and then pureed the
rest, adding back in the chopped peanuts at the end. Basically, I
shelled the peanuts, roasted them, and put them in the processor with a
scoche of store bought peanut oil(about 1 tsp). I think I added some
sugar and a dash of salt, too, if memory serves.
Because it did not have any emulsifiers, it did separate a bit after a
few days, so I just kept stirring it before I used it. I kept it in the
refrigerator, too. It was very tasty... :)

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

Has anyone made there own peanut butter? We used to get an all natural at Safeway that we liked. Here our small town supermarket has none. Does it take any special equipment to make butter out of peanuts?
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W