homestead - [Homestead] Info on Snakes

  • From: "Clint L. Novak" <CNovak AT CNS.COM>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Info on Snakes
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:38:27 -0500

I'm hoping the collective knowledge of the folks on the list can
enlighten me on the subject of snakes(mostly the poisonous ones).
Some questions I have are:
Are they nocturnal?
When do they stop coming out(temperature)?
Do they live underground?
Do they hibernate?
Can you be tested to see how severe a reaction a person might have to a
bite?
Can you really put a rope around your campsite to prevent snakes from
entering?

Currently we live in Minnesota, but we're looking in the Ozarks and
every time we take a canoe trip I see a snake or two, sometimes the
poisonous variety. Some of you folks were talking a bit about them a
while back and I know Gene has been bitten by one. Being from
Minnesota, all the time I spent in the country I never gave much thought
to snakes. There are simply no poisonous snakes to speak of where I
grew up or where I currently frequent. Sounds like many of you deal
with snakes on a regular basis, I'd value you thoughts, tales, web
sites, and any other info you would be interested in passing on.

Clint