homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 09:42:04 -0500

I believe that instead of thawing them for use, you cook them straight from
the cube to avoid salmonella. Since Gene has done this, he can comment, I
hope.

I would hope so, too. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember. Chris says she thinks we ended up discarding them cuz we didn't ever need them.

Almost everyone keeps too many hens. Unless one wishes to have an egg bizness, fewer hens works out. Eat when there are eggs, eat something else when there aren't. We homesteader types get pretty heavy into food preservation. I find it can become a bit onerous after a few decades.