homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:53:28 -0400

We crumble up the shells and feed them back to the chickens as a source of
minerals they need to build the shells for the new eggs. That and oysters
shells as well as sand for roughage.

We don't feed the shell to the dogs or cat and don't want to encourage them
to think eggs "in the wild" are fair game for them to eat.