homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:56:14 -0400

Hi Bev! I haven't counted my chickens lately, but I had 36 hens and 4 or 5
roosters a few months ago. I know that I've lost 2 roosters, sold one
rooster, and lost a couple hens that I know of. They are free-range, and
that makes them almost impossible to count. I was getting 3 dozen eggs a
day for a while in the spring, then 2 dozen, now I'm lucky to get one
dozen a day. I think many hens are off being 'broody' somewhere. I have
several young chicks running around, and one hen tried to brood eggs in
the nest box, which I didn't allow. The only luck I've had raising chicks
is in a brooder until they are large enough to scare off cats. Even the
mother hens can't defend more than one or two chicks from predators.

I haven't tried egg noodles yet, but I have a pasta maker, so it's a good
idea. I make several loaves of challa (egg bread) a week to use up extra
eggs. The kids don't like whole wheat bread, so I think bread with egg
and milk is at least better than white bread. I don't usually braid it
like I should because we use it for toast and sandwiches.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA