homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 09:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

As an old timer I can remember when we could take the
surplus eggs to the village store and they would buy
them for a quarter a dozen, early 60s. That was my
spending money. If the hens didn't lay enough I had
no spending money.
I understand that the industrial chicken producers
have taken over the market to the point that there is
no 3rd party to sell eggs or poultry to. Only option
is direct to consumer, which, of course is a lot of
what we have been talking about.
My dad calculated once that if the resources we put
into chickens and milk cow were put into cash crops we
could buy eggs and milk and have some money left over.
Since taking care of milk was a lot more work they
gave up the milk cow but continued to raise chickens
for a couple decades, more a cultural decision rather
than economic.
Van Dell