homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: Viking <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:51:39 -0400

My dad calculated once that if the resources we put into chickens
and milk cow were put into cash crops we could buy eggs and milk
and have some money left over.

Yeah, but then you get all those steroids and hormones that they feed
the chickens and cows, as well as antibiotics and other crap that
animals shouldn't eat.
No one ever said it was cheaper to raise your own, especially these
days. It certainly can be, but usually isn't. The difference comes in
the quality of the product-in the health aspect of the crop or commodity
or the taste of the crop, etc. It's hard to put a price on something
intangible like the taste of a vine ripened tomato versus one bought in
the store.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W