homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:55:41 -0400

Not knowing which Lynn Bev is talking to....

We have about 30 adult birds and nearly 30 chicks maturing now. There are
some roosters overdue for butchering and some getting there...

At the moment, we are not getting many eggs because of the number of
setting hens, eating snakes, and lazy daughter....

We usually separate the hens and chicks in a couple of weeks; sooner if the
hen is not protective and is not covering the chicks at night; generally
being a bad mother. Like the other Lynn, predators are a big problem so we
have the chicks moved, with their mother, to a brood box as soon as they
are discovered. The brood box is in an enclosed house snakes don't get
into.

Then we move them to a cage with small mesh. Generally before then, the hen
is tired of being cooped up and we turn her loose. The next step is the
chicken run which has large mesh wire, and they are closed into the chicken
house every night and a trap set in the chicken doorway. After they are
size enough to discourage hawks, they are let loose with the flock to free
range. I'd like a chicken tractor!

Some of the hens take a while to recover but probably within a week of
being released, they are laying again. I haven't tracked a hen to know if
that is always true or not.

I've never made egg noodles. I've helped a Mennonite lady make them and I
decided it wasn't worth my time and I didn't notice that they were any
better than the others.

I've used extra eggs in egg nog; angel food cakes; heavy pound cakes; hard
boiled eggs for salads; and I've sold extras. This year, we haven't been
selling any.
Lynn from SC