homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions for Lynn and others re chickens
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 12:03:56 -0400

I haven't personally done it. But I've read where you can break them into
the ice cube tray -- one egg per cube -- and stick that in the freezer. I
believe that instead of thawing them for use, you cook them straight from
the cube to avoid salmonella. Since Gene has done this, he can comment, I
hope. We haven't been so hard up as to do this.

We feed any eggs getting too old to our critters -- dog, cat and chickens.
We usually scramble them first, but recently, on another homesteaders list,
I was told by a vet that dogs and cats do not need to have the eggs cooked.
The original thought was that raw eggs would bind up biotin, but this vet
said it would take an enormous amount of eggs to do that and that if the
entire egg, instead of just the white, is fed, there are balances in the
raw egg to offset each other, making this a non-issue.