homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:00:42 -0400

clhw wrote:

Bev, you may be able to set up WiFi for your own home, depending on
what your ISP offers and your computer will take.

I guess I don't understand how that works.....
We have no DSL or cable here...only dialup....no broadband either..my
only ISP option other than my dialup phone line is something like
Starband, which I cannot afford at something akin to $100/month.

I have friends who have pc computers and they have to download every
new bell or whistle which comes out: music, video, weather alerts,
maps, you name it. Then they complain about their computers crashing
or needing to be pitched for newer, faster, bigger.

I know. My daughter came over recently and loaded some stupid game on
my computer, and although I uninstalled it after she left, my computer
has been crashing and getting ddhelp errors since then. I know that has
something to do with DirectX, but even though I read about it online, I
have no clue as to how to fix it. The game must have corrupted a file
in the registry or something..I don't know. IMO, loading games on an
older computer like this one is like playing Russian roulette-it's at
best a waste of time, and at worst the death of a good tool.

If you are satisfied with basic I'Net
connection, email program, and word processing and don't need to do
VOIP, or the latest, you will find a laptop completely satisfactory.

I think that sums it up for me. If I had a faster connection
capability, like DSL or something, then I might feel differently, but
right now, I can't even run a news feed video on this thing.

You can use a mouse with your laptop but my children love the
TrackPads, claiming they have better speed. Most laptops can be
networked with your desktop so you can take one with you, on a trip,
enter what you want, and then store it on your desktop.

I want to eliminate the desktop. Saving the hard drive for storage is a
good idea, however.

There are many options with a laptop, including CD drives, networking
to projection equipment (I've sat through many a Emergency Management
course/seminar/meeting with the main material being projected from a
laptop). My nephew and I watched a DVD movie on his laptop one
evening.

There is one application that would be nice, to be able to create
something in Powerpoint and have it run off a laptop when we do
astronomy presentations to the public.
Also, I think Tim? mentioned downloading big files from WiFi sights and
then bringing them home. I had not thought of that use, either, but
that would be a plus since right now, I get major file errors when I try
to download large stuff because my phone lines are so slow (24,600kbps
at best)
You guys have given me a lot to think about...

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W