homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tolkein

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tolkein
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:07:23 -0400

I agree with you 100% on all that you said.
My husband and I were discussing the omission of Bombadil and we came
to the conclusion it was omitted to avoid controversy with religious
groups. Ron's favorite character was Bombadil....I'm a Legolas,
Boromir, and Aragorn lover, myself. I'm also not an extreme fan, but it
gets my vote for the best work of fiction I personally have ever read.
I don't read that much fiction, but I have read the trilogy multiple
times throughout my life, and each time I see something new.....a new
analogy, a new symbolism, a new meaning in one of the poems, etc.
When my son was homeschooling, he researched and wrote a paper on
J.R.R., and I look forward to reading the books again now that I
understand how he was so inspired to write them. It has everything to
do with homesteading and the world we live in today, but in a fantasy
setting. I was first introduced to Tolkien in Honors English in high
school, and I believe it should be required reading for all high school
aged kids. There are many parallels to life today that would be
worthwhile topics of discussion for kids, and the imagery alone make it
worth the time to read.
I never thought it would be made into a movie, but Jackson did do a
great job-at least in capturing the flavor of the characters and the
basic plot and conflict. The casting was great, too. Still, you miss so
much of the beauty of the work if you don't read it. I'm not sure that
Tolkien himself would have wanted his work to modernized like it has
been in the form of a movie. I will say one thing for the movie,
however, it did help me visualize the scope and action of the battle
scenes, something that was difficult for me to follow from the books.
On a related note, while we are on the subject of Hobbits and such, I
have to direct your attention to this really cool tent that my husband
and I are considering buying to replace our old one for the next
canoe/camping trip.
http://www.rei.com/product/47850740.htm
Is that totally cool or what?

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
I was pleasantly impressed with the movies. With few exceptions they
stayed very close to the book. One of the things they did leave out
of the movie was the visit with Tom Bombadill. I think that alone is
a reason to read the books. I am not a "Tolkeinist" or whatever you
might call an extreme fan, but I do think that The Lord of the Rings
is probably the best work of fiction ever written. I envy those who
can look forward to reading it for the first time. Oh. don't forgot
"The Hobbit", "Farmer Jiles of Hamm" and the "Father Christmas
Letters".

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W