homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tolkien

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tolkien
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:53:31 -0700

It has to be the right time for someone to read Tolkien. I didn't read them when everyone else was obsessed with them (high school) and I'm not sure I could read them now. I did enjoy the Hobbit when I was in my mid-20s.

However, I have the 3 book set, the Hobbit and another one, all first editions that my mother gave me. They are an excellent little savings account <g>

Lynda, who will now probably be hunted down by Tolkien fans <g>
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Now, Wonder Woman, that depends on whether you seek entertainment or
immersion into a writer's vision. Actually, having read a bit about
Tolkien, I doubt the books would keep my interest. I find fantasy
akin to spirituality; some speaks to me and some doesn't. Beyond
spirituality, Tolkien was religious. That url I referenced in my last
post included this: 'The Lord of the Rings' is of course a
fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first,
but consciously in the revision," Tolkien wrote in a letter in 1953
to Robert Murray, a Jesuit priest.

Should I ever choose to spend a couple days of my precious time to
read JRRT I have his books nearly at hand; nearby friends are as
enamored of him as you. They call their place Hobbitwoods. But they
have normal feet.