homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tolkein ...Homemade tinctures

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tolkein ...Homemade tinctures
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:07:19 -0700

I think John O'Hara holds the top honors in long winded descriptions that lend nothing to the story line. I gave up reading him after he seems to go on for dozens of pages, I think it was only 8, to describe the mink coat in Butterfield 8.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <rayzentz AT aim.com>

To any concerned, if at all.

I have read all of Tolkiens works over the years, and enjoyed them. However, his writing style is archaic, and he can take pages describing the leaves on a tree (slight exaggeration, but not much). His characters tend to be paper cutouts. Still, he began a genre that gets better and better. For a really good epic fantasy read, I recommend David Eddings, particularly the Belgariad series, or the Rose of The Prophet series. Wonderful characters, and fantasy at its best. Curl up in front of a fire, and prepare to enter a new world...