homestead - Re: [Homestead] Old homestead friends

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Old homestead friends
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:25:18 -0500

At 10:32 PM 6/7/2006, you wrote:
And I look forward to visiting again this fall. I am in Texas and will be
for the next couple of weeks then it is maybe Missouri. I will be heading
for NC in early September.

Don,

I just read your journal about the sandstorm you hit. You were smart to seek shelter. I was born and grew up in Texas just north of where you have been driving, and remember harsh sandstorms, some lasting for days. My Dad built us a new house in the '50s, and used all the tricks he knew to make it tight. Even then, sand would get into the house, and there would be a fine layer of dust over everything after a sandstorm. Sand would go where water could not. My Mother kept a boiling pot of water on the stove during sandstorms just to put a little humidity back in the air.

Jerry S.