homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:16:37 EST

> I might be wrong, but I believe that back in the late 1700's when the
> Constitution was written and ratified, the only thing that made one an
> American was moving here and declaring to be an American.

In practice, perhaps, and in general. The Spanish and French could not just
move here and then, voila, they were citizens. There was great debate over
the citizenship status of Indians and slaves from the beginning, When it was
the government's benefit for white European settlers to come over and be
instant citizens (not really instant, they had to be on the census roles),
that's
pretty much what happened. But it was never considered unconstitutional to
limit that.

Another thing is that in the 1700's, before today's lamentable federalism,
one became a citizen of a state and de facto then became a US citizen and
most
states strictly proscribed citizenship (or residency).