homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:01:51 -0600

<<Ok, I am personally for term limits on Supremes so that these issues
aren't
so great in scope, but I would like to see multiple examples, or evidences
of
a belief in unlimited presidential powers before I get scared too.>>

Have you listened to all the SC hearings and read Alito's previous writings?
Of course, I haven't read them all (I suppose some Senate staffers have, and
they will probably never be right again), but Alito has a pretty impressive
record of backing the power of the presidency, regardless of what the
president wants to do. I find this assault on the checks and balances
system, which is the only thing standing between us and dictatorship,
horrifying. If the president becomes a monarch, I'm going to be resisting.

In South American countries (and for that matter many others), the one last
thing standing between dictatorship and republican government has been the
military. The only thing that gives me comfort is that our military won't
roll over for a civilian authority that wants to assert dictatorial powers.

Of course, if our military goes over to a dictator, we can all just kiss our
republic goodbye (and feel real bad that it didn't last anywhere near as
long as the Roman republic.

Marie