homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: WILLIAM <billymegab AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:04:38 -0800 (PST)

I think it's safe to say the first casualty in this or any other war is the
truth!!

Wiliam

Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net> wrote:
<some time now.>>

I won't dispute your assertion at this time, but I've seen no such stories
in the media. The one story I did read -- and I'm sorry but I can't remember
where it was, though it was mainstream -- indicated that many troops had
armor that they had to leave behind. Since so many of the recruits come from
rural areas where everyone knows everyone else, not all of the stories
coming home are cheerful about body armor.

In point of fact, we probably won't really know what's going on for another
20 or 30 years, if then.
<are
accepting as "the truth" of what's going on in Iraq is mostly (1)
regurgitated urban legends that have little to no basis in reality and
cannot be confirmed by a source in Iraq, (2) stories about conditions that
were largely true in the beginning of the war but are not now (but continue
to be embraced as the current truth for whatever reason), and (3) what we do
know about what is going on over there is largely being fed to us by
reporters with a very politicized agenda.>>

You may be right, but I'd like to see some references. If you remember, the
beginning of the war was a lot less deadly than it's become. Journalists
could actually move around in country without having a suicide wish.

<that
they are fed up / pissed off with the public perception of what is going on
over there, because it does not reflect the reality that they live and work
and die in every day.>>

And your sources are?

<for
the right reasons.>>

Since our government has pretty much proved that if it's putting out a
story, the story is false, I have a hard time identifying reliable sources.

Marie

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billymegab%40yahoo.com