homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: Magnus <stinkfart AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:14:49 -0500

On 1/26/06, DSanner106 AT aol.com <DSanner106 AT aol.com> wrote:

> SO, I guess you just don't get it do you? ANYTIME the fbi or anyone else
> gets permission to wiretap, they listen to all calls placed to or from
> that
> person. They do not EVER have to get a second permission for each and
> every
> person on the other end of the call. That is not required by law. Of
> course a
> percentage of the calls ended in the US. That is not illegal though, as
> they had
> permission to tape the other party.

That's not how the warrantless system works.

It samples a percentage of all international calls with one termination
point in the USA.

It listens for familiar voices, key words, and other currently unknown
metrics to determine whether or not the call is of interest. This in and of
itself is a violation of the 4th amendment. This is akin to police randomly
coming to your home, poking around inside, and figuring out if you have any
Islamist Arabs hanging out inside.

This is BEFORE the call is handed off for deeper monitoring and analysis.

There was never any court permission (warrant) for listening in on either
party when both parties are unknown.