homestead - Re: [Homestead] A safe place, Storrs, Connecticut

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A safe place, Storrs, Connecticut
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:43:21 -0500

Here's a piece from Slate and NPR on where to go to be safe:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4856048. Of course, a meteor could hit you directly if your luck was of the bad kind.

Fun read. I found this to be worth noting:

"—and, as Hurricane Katrina reminded us, socioeconomics matter when it comes to preserving life during natural disasters."

Trent Lott's house, destined for cartoon infamy, will be rebuilt with taxpayer money. The majority of expensive coastal property is owned by those who could afford to be self-insured, but, shucks, why do that if the taxpayers will pay for your folly?

Two types of natural "disasters": those that take human lives and those that merely destroy human structures. Earthquakes are the only surprise natural calamities. Not counting meteors and meteorites. All other nasties, like hurricanes, tornadoes, and volcanic eruptions are now preceded with ample warning to get out of the way or hide in your tornado shelter. More on that below. I don't have my book with me here, but in it I have an earthquake map. As I recall, there is an area of west Texas and an area of west Florida where earthquakes have never occurred in recorded history. At a Tampa booksigning I met a traumatized woman who had survived the Northridge earthquake as her house fell down around her. She had used the map in my book to choose Tampa as her safe place.

Back to tornado shelters. Here in the Ozarks they abound. Thick concrete walls, built into a hillside, small door facing downwind. Arched concrete roof. What is notable is that such structures are all old. Many are now used as root cellars. New houses may have basements or the owners may simply rely on the forecasting network now in place that gives substantial warning of impending high winds.

The Slate article only assessed cities. We ruralites are far better prepared for the vicissitudes of Momma Nature. You are, aren't you?