homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rob's VA progress?

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rob's VA progress?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:21:46 -0700

At 9/18/2005 06:56 PM, you wrote:

That is a good project. The place is not fenced. The boundaries are very
well marked though. Once it cools off a little in the next few weeks, I want
to start this.

That's a good idea to use a steel post every 50 feet or so. Would make the
lines a lot clearer where I do not want to fence right now.

I strung that yellow construction string from one corner to another & that was some job (let me tell you!).
I cleared the brush with a chainsaw blade on my gas powered string trimmer. I can't say enough about that trimmer with the chainsaw blade.
My long side was 1/4 mile and to find the ends I had to run up a flag at both ends (string with yellow construction tape tied on it) so I could see where the ends were when I was in the brush. Anyway I got it done and the string stretched out.
Where I needed to measure I picked up a 330' tape from Harbor Freight. I had a lot of steel posts that I'd picked up over time at auctions and such.
There were a lot of things that I picked up here and there that came in really useful... fence posts, stock panels, garden hoses. Things like that.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA