homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rob's VA progress?

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rob's VA progress?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:56:20 -0400

The newer the better, watch for the carpet stapled down BEFORE the
walls were put on in an older one. Getting the carpet out is a pain in those.

I read about someone having that trouble on one of the lists I'm on. That, decent windows and plywood floors are goals. I have one dealer in town (the only dealer in town) that I like a like a lot. We clicked. She has a repo coming on her lot this week or next. I hope that it works out. I'd like to work with her. If not a couple of other dealers in the next town.

Also going through my tools after the suggestions you and others sent.
Basically just going nuts here looking for projects :>)

Is your place fenced? Running a string from one corner to another was
a big deal at my place in MN. Once I had that done marking the
boundaries with a steel fence post every 50 or 100 feet was a big
help in visualizing what I had.

That is a good project. The place is not fenced. The boundaries are very well marked though. Once it cools off a little in the next few weeks, I want to start this.

That's a good idea to use a steel post every 50 feet or so. Would make the lines a lot clearer where I do not want to fence right now. For the 300 or so feet of frontage, I''ll fence in right away. The rest I can get away with less fence because there are no neighbors. Just tree company holdings.

I also have an old 25 or 30 foot trailer on the property that has been there for 20 years abandoned. (About 20 year pine in front of door, so I know). I want to hook up to that and pull it out a little from where it is, take off the wheels, put it on blocks and get some old tires mounted on it. I think that with some tar on the roof, and a good clean up, I could do a lot with it. Could be a huge chicken mobile or a good tool shed. MIght just all fall apart when I hook up my truck to in and pull. Then will be a big job to get it to the dump :>) Here is a picture of it:
http://waltonrp.atspace.com/trailer.JPG

Rob almost in VA