homestead - Re: [Homestead] two americas

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] two americas
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:49:35 -0700

Ah, Marie, only sorta <g> The "threat" of devasting earthquakes is a once in 50 to 100 years thing and only in parts of CA. What we don't understand is folks that live in places where the natural disasters strike almost yearly!

The thing that scared the beejeebers out of me was sheet lightning. Particularly as I wasn't expecting it! Here I am with a yearling and a 2 year old who'd never been in a horse trailer plus another yearling with an astronomical Lloyd's insurance policy on him and boom not 30 feet in front of the truck is a big nasty "solid" gigantic sheet of what looked like polished aluminum slamming down in front of us and sounds like cannons going off!

Personally, I think states should have warning signs as you enter them "beware [fill in blank with disaster most likely to happen in that state] so those unaware don't end up in a ditch <g>

And then there was the black ice on metal bridges. What's with metal bridges in ice country? And the drivers don't even slow down and then, I swear, as they hit one of the bridges they shout "wheeeeeeee" and go sliding across them without a care in the world. It's like little kids with toboggans and the cars look like a demolition derby survivor.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>

And tornadoes in the Midwest, one of which cut a swath just south of me a
mile or more wide a few years ago -- it wiped out houses and businesses. One
lumber company went out of business after its inventory was scattered over
several square miles (and it had really nice lumber -- I still mourn its
demise).

Really, there ain't no safe place on Earth. People in California who live
with threat of devastating earthquakes are freaked by lightening storms and
tornadoes in the Midwest, not to mention ice storms.

Earth has no guaranteed safe places.

Marie