homestead - Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (July-August 2005)

  • From: djwarren AT aeneas.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (July-August 2005)
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:15:44 -0500

> Would that be Chinese artichoke? Little mint-like plants? Wait until
> the first frost kills the tops before harvesting their ivory
> scorpion-tail delights (or any tuber, for that matter). There's no
> peeling required, but it takes a little practice to stir-fry these just
> right so that they're lightly brown but still firm.

I think they are called chirogi but the tubers do not have a crescent shape,
more like a small spiral seashell. The plants grow tall, resembling mint.

Can they be left in the ground and dug when wanted?

Thank you for all the help.

Donna, Tennessee

This mail sent by Aeneas Webmail: http://www.aeneas.net