homestead - Re: [Homestead] two americas

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] two americas
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:40:55 -0500

<<Ah, Marie, only sorta <g> The "threat" of devasting earthquakes is a once

in 50 to 100 years thing and only in parts of CA. What we don't understand
is folks that live in places where the natural disasters strike almost
yearly!>>

Lynda, you point out what is common to all people everywhere. They live
where they live and take their chances with the natural calamities they know
about. Not too far south of me is the New Madrid fault, but the last time
that made the earth move was 1812, so it doesn't keep most people up nights.

Tornadoes happen every spring and sometimes in the fall, those less
commonly. The nice thing about a tornado is that the warnings are pretty
good and if you do get hit, it's over in a few minutes and there's no
standing water to clean up.

As for thunder storms, I enjoy them so long as I'm at home and able to
unplug the electronics before they start. My late husband had a wonderful
story about when he was a radio announcer in Michigan. A big storm came up.
He and his dad and another gentleman were in the radio shack right below and
attached to the tower when ball lightening rolled down the tower. It's a
pity that no one had a movie camera to record those three large men (Jim was
6' 3", his dad was taller than that, and the other guy wasn't little)
simultaneously exiting through the standard doorway. The station was off the
air for a couple of days. :)

I do worry about the animals when we have a lot of cloud-to-ground
lightening. So far, nobody has been hit, but some years ago my parents lost
a group of fat steers to a storm.

Marie, who wouldn't have minded a little more lightening this summer if some
rain had come along