homestead - Re: [Homestead] two americas

  • From: RayZentz AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] two americas
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:16:47 EDT

That article is a crock of unmitigated tripe.

Half truths.

Exaggerations. Mixed with utter lies.

I visited New Orleans about twenty years ago, with the idea of a potential
move there. After touring around the area, seeing the levees, and
understanding that most of the city proper was actually below sea level, I
made the
deliberate and conscious decision that I didn't want to take the risk of
living
there. I realized then that if a major hurricane hit the area, there would
be nothing much left of the city. Other people there were aware of the
risk,
but said it would never happen. They were wrong.

It is the same reason I refuse to make any kind of move to California. The
risk of earthquake is too high for me. I will also never live in a major
forested area, because of high fire risk. I have experienced consequences
of
those choices, which I have accepted.

We make choices and decisions every day. There are always consequences of
our choices.

The disaster in New Orleans is terrible. People are suffering, and I will
do what I can to help, as I would for anyone in need, regardless of the
cause. However, don't ever try to make me feel guilty, or expect me to
feel
sympathy for those who suffer natural consequences of foolish or stupid
choices.
There were many people who left when the storm warning came, and are now
homeless. I feel sympathy for these people. People who stayed, in the face
of
warnings and reason, are now suffering the natural consequences of their
choices and actions. For them I feel no sympathy. Pity, perhaps, but not
sympathy.

And don't give me tripe about people being too poor to leave, or not wanting
to leave "stuff" behind, because it may be stolen. There were
opportunities to leave, which were ignored.

Many people who are of "liberal" bent claim to believe in Darwin's theories,
specifically Natural Selection. Here it is, at work. So be it.

Dr. Raymond Zentz

Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail.