homestead - Re: [Homestead] two americas

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] two americas
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:29:45 -0500

<<And don't give me tripe about people being too poor to leave, or not
wanting
to leave "stuff" behind, because it may be stolen. There were
opportunities to leave, which were ignored.>>

So, tell me, how do you get out of a city when bus and train service is not
available, and you have no car? And you're 80 years old and have never been
out of the city in your life. Even now, many old people are clinging to
their homes.

You chose not to move to NO. Good for you. Most of the people who didn't
leave have lived there all their lives. NO has been around for a very long
time, and when a place is that old, most people can't imagine it being wiped
off the map. These people are living in neighborhoods where their families
have lived for generations.

Damn, I hate it when people get all self righteous; it's ugly. And
generally, Ray, I like your posts though I don't share some of your beliefs.

Marie