homestead - Re: [Homestead] I'm about out of here

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I'm about out of here
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:03:02 -0400

Rob Walton wrote:

You are correct. I think that I'll need a few seasons just to get used to the seasons. I come from zone 10 and higher. Zone 6 is going to be a big change.....

It takes a couple years. We lived in Charleston SC for 5 years and grew fabulous peppers through Thanksgiving. We had moved to Charleston from 'up north' and I always got a late start on the garden for their climate. Then we moved to sw VA in the Appalachian mountains (located in zone 6 but more like 5 1/2) and there is a dramatic difference. We are more familiar with this climate, but had to re-remember when the last frost is in spring and the first frost could be in the fall. It feels good to pull on a sweater in autumn though---oh, and the fall colors, you'll enjoy that as well. Welcome to Virginia. We've been Virginian's for six years and are glad to be here. Not to mention we have a heckuva governor for now. Virginia's gov's can only hold office for one term. Maybe he'll run for president.
Lisa
Floyd County resident